Last night I wanted to knit something satisfying. Something that would take shape quickly and turn into a usable object in the course of an evening. I found this little guy in my Ravelry queue and knew that I could summon up some scraps to make a cute version of my own. I used GGH Tara, a yarn I had leftover from a baby blanket last summer.
I started with the shell; knit flat with increases and decreases, it magically morphs into a 3-D sphere when it is finished. Next came the head and 4 little legs. My turtle’s head came out a little wonky, but I figured that would be okay since my intended recipients, the cats, aren’t too picky when it comes to this sort of thing.
This was my first stuffed animal project, so I really didn’t know what to expect going into it. Turns out, there is a lot of sewing and weaving in of ends involved!
As I seamed the pieces up, I filled the shell and head with loose catnip. This was a messy endeavor and I ended up with The Nip all over the table, my lap, and the turtle while trying to imbibe the tiny turtle in catnippy goodness.
Turns out, Maxwell has a taste for the high end organic catnip. And he doesn’t seem to mind that he has to lick through a turtle to get to it!