Let me just tell you right off the bat that there will be little (if any) knitting content in this post. Instead, I am taking some time today to write about a couple of other creative projects that have been works in progress around my house for months. And they are finally finished!
When we bought our house back in March, there were 5 rooms covered in at least 2 layers of wallpaper. Floral wallpaper from the 80s. It was in good repair for the most part, but the patterns just weren’t our style. So with determination and good dose of naivete, I started scraping. And spraying, scoring, steaming, hacking, crying, and eventually abandoning. The first rooms to be rid of wallpaper were the main bathroom and kitchen, followed by the dining room. But my craft room and the guest bath languished in half finished states for months.
With the impending arrival of house guests for Thanksgiving, I was suddenly motivated to get my craft room looking nice and actually being functional as a guest room and creative space.
Sweetie built me a Princess and the Pea day bed that I can store tons of supplies beneath and sit on top of and knit or write. I finished up the wall recovery project and painted the room a fresh white. This was a first for me; I usually go for more saturated colors, but I wanted this room to stay bright. In a matter of hours, this long hibernating work in progress was transformed into one of my favorite rooms in the house.
It’s a pretty small room with lost of angles and little wall space. Despite this, I was able to carve out both a desk area and a yarn winding station.
This room was finished before our guests arrived for Thanksgiving and served as a lovely guest room. I had to knock on the door a couple of times to access The Stash, but my mom was very understanding.
The final wallpaper removal project was our guest bathroom on the main level of the house. It had two layers: the most recent layer was a marbleized beige with multi-color floral border near the ceiling. beneath that lurked yellow flowers… We started scraping it off back in August, but quickly got distracted by more other projects. This weekend Sweetie and I took care of all the details.
I scraped the rest of the wallpaper, sealed the drywall, applied texture paint, and finally painted the room a rich chocolate brown. Sweetie is super handy and was therefore in charge of installing the bead board, a new faucet and mirror, and a new light fixture. Which she picked out on her own, earning her major style points.
It feels just as good to have these rooms off the To Do list as it does finishing up a long term knitting project. There is not a scrap of wallpaper left to peel in this entire house, and that is liberating and satisfying beyond explanation. We have put so much work into this place that it feels like we can relax now, even for just a moment.