The first shipment from the Rockin’ Sock Club has arrived. And it is preeetty…
For those of you who don’t want the surprise ruined, please accept the following photo as a buffer. It was taken over the weekend when Big Martha and I took a romp through the snow by a nearby lake. I had to stop her from running out on the frozen water to get to the ducks and geese. That could have been catastrophic indeed!
Okay, now on to the good stuff: the yarn!
Are you sure you want to know?
May I present My Blue Heaven from Blue Moon Fiber Arts:
I was thoroughly pleased with my first installment. This is my first time participating in a yarn club of any kind, and I have to admit I had some reservations. What if I didn’t care for the colorway or the pattern? At the same time, what if I did?
The best thing happened with this shipment: I like the color and the pattern. Typically when choosing sock patterns I go for something that doesn’t have too many new elements. I like to be challenged, but not too much at one time. This pattern, by Syvia Harding, offers a few new challenges for me: a tubular cast on and knitting with beads. Had I been left to my own devices, I may not have chosen this pattern because of those two elements.
By participating in a sock club where I have no control over the patterns, I will be making myself face these uncertainties head on. Fortunately, we will have each other’s support via Ravelry and the RSC blog along the way.
I was so excited to get started that I cast on as quickly as time and other plans would allow. The tubular cast on is nothing at all to be intimidated about, as I discovered after reading this and watching this. It’s simply an invisible cast on to give you a neater, more flexible edge. This pattern employs a slightly different method, but just trust the instructions and you will end up with a sock cuff.
And as for the beads, well, they caused me a few minutes of frustration, but then I got into a rhythm. I tried using a needle, but the beads didn’t want to go over the needle and the yarn at the same time. In the end, I simply used waxed dental floss folded in half over a length of the yarn as a “needle” to thread the beads onto the skein. Pretty easy, except for the risk of dropping beads onto the floor. I’m still searching for a couple of them…