Lelah: Before and After

The whole thing with the mice also prompted me to refashion another finished knit that I still like and would love to wear.

Before:

lelah-top-fin2

  • Pattern: Lelah, original details here

  • Yarn: Calmer by Rowan in color 484

After:

100_4446

I did two things to make this more wearable for myself.  First, I changed out the ribbon from a shiny white to an embroidered brown grosgrain.  I love the combination of lavender and brown (my bedroom colors, incidentally) and looked long and hard for that ribbon!

Second, I went back and added the elastic that was suggested in the pattern to begin with.  Not having a sewing machine when I originally made this top led me down a series of rationalizations as to why I didn’t need elastic.  The truth is, I didn’t want to hand sew!  So I simply turned down the top edge and sewed a channel for some elastic cord to slide through.  It feels much more secure up top, and I may actually get to wear it this summer!

Do you have any knits that could come out of hiding with a quick adjustment here or there?  Is there something you have never worn or used?  Well, I’m here to encourage you to take the knits back and make those changes, give them away, or frog them and reuse the yarn.  Life is to short to let your knits languish in a dark closet!

Of Mice and Frogs

100_4422

This recommendation from the Yarn Harlot could not have come at a better time.  Actually it could have come a few days sooner, I suppose.  Like last Wednesday, the day before I discovered my craft drawers had been seeing some mouse activity.

craft-room-finished

I am fortunate enough to have a craft room to call my own.  It is a sweet room, with a dormer window that allows for a built in window seat.  This is where I have my swift and ball winder set up on permanent display.  Cut out of the wall next to the yarn winding station is a charming set of 4 drawers that slide right out of the wall. When setting up the room, I had fun putting away my knitting notions, button tins, and finished objects that had no home in these drawers.

craft-room-window1

Over the weekend I was attempting to tidy this room up a bit when, upon opening the knitting needle drawer, I discovered this:

100_4433

That’s my gorgeous silk Lantern Moon needle case, home to all of my straight knitting needles.  And Someone decided it looked like a good snack, or building material, or stuffing for a tiny bed in the attic.  Someone was very sneaky and didn’t even arouse the suspicion of either feline in residence.  I need to have a talk with those cats.

Further inspection of the drawers revealed a few minuscule mouse turds, and a hole from the attic space into the framing of the drawers.  Sigh.  I immediately tossed my stash of FOs onto the floor, as well as anything else I thought the mice might find delicious or comfortable as bedding.

100_4435

Fortunately, I had kept these items in sealed plastic bags and there does not appear to be any damage.  But seeing it there, all piled up on the floor, made me sort of sad.  I did not knit these things so they could languish in a dark, mouse-infested drawer!

So I set about doing something I have never done: I picked out the items I knew  a) would never find a home because they were ill-fitting or poorly finished, or b) I loved the yarn and could re-use it in a new project.

In all, I have frogged 3 projects so far:

friday-shrug2

  • Pattern:  Shrug This, original details here

  • Yarn: Araucania Pomaire Multy in color 4

This was just a bit too small around the arms, and after wearing it a couple of times the stitches in the underarm were stretched out and looking a little shabby.  Since I had about 3/4 a skein of the yarn leftover, I think I could remake the same pattern a little larger.

mss-finished

I loved this yarn and pattern together.  The dropped stitch “lace” was fun to create, and the payoff looked more complicated than it actually was.  And even though I originally cast on fewer stitches than the pattern called for, it was always a little to short to be a satisfying scarf.  Now I have a skein of beautiful sock yarn back in my stash that could become anything!

The final project was a neckwarmer in a fantastic hot pink shade of Malabrigo.  It seems I was dissatisfied enough with it from the beginning, because I have no photo of the finished object to reference!  But you can imagine it now looks more like this:

malabrigo-from-maine

The one on the left, or course.

If you have any FOs or works in progress that have been languishing in knitting purgatory, I urge you to set them (and yourself) free!

This frogging of finished objects exercise was surprisingly satisfying.  I no longer have to convince myself that I will wear something or find someone to gift it to.  I have yarn I love back in my stash, ready for me when I have the urge to knit with it again.  Now I think I’ll go see what else I can frog.  I know there’s some perfectly good Malabrigo going to waste…