The airing of the stash also resulted in an inadvertant airing of the unfinished objects. I only had 2 forgotten projects lurking in the dark corners of my craft room: the Hemlock Ring Blanket and Juliet.
I started the blanket in the spring of 09, intending it to be a wedding gift for my friend that June. The knitting was going smoothly, quickly even, until I got off track int he feather and fan section. Somehow the stitch count was off and the motif wasn’t looking right so I set it aside. I think I tried picking it up last fall when I was attempting to clear the decks before PB was born. But the problem wasn’t resolved, and so it got shoved away again. This is a lovely pattern, and I was knitting it in a luscious turquoise blue Malabrigo worsted. I am again trying to clear the decks of all ufo’s before we move, and so I am faced with a decision: finish or frog?
The next project up for judgement is my Juliet. I started this more recently in November of 2009. The pattern calls for a bulky yarn, but I thought I would knit up a lighter-weight version for myself out of Berrocco vintage wool. I did a couple of calculations, and got started knitting, figuring I could block the garter stitch yoke to gain some length. Then, partway through, I noticed that this yarn is not entirely wool; in fact, it is 50% acrylic, 40% wool, and 10% nylon. It’s not even mostly wool. I don’t know how I missed that in the store! To me, the name implied pure oldey-timey wooly goodness. I don’t think I even looked at the label for the yarn’s contents, although I do remember thinking it was very soft.
Once the yarn’s true ingredients were discovered, I set the sweater aside, worried it would be too small if the yarn wasn’t blockable. I was also knitting it on plastic needles because my size 8 Addis were otherwise occupied at the time. When I pulled this sweater out and tried it on, I was pleased to see it wasn’t so small after all. Granted, my bust line has increased since I started the project (thank you, breastfeeding), but I figure it’s meant to be worn open anyways. I switched out the needles and have been knitting on it monogamously all week. We are back on track!
I have also been plodding away on my Hamamelis shawl. This is a lovely pattern, and I am thrilled with how it is turning out, especially in the lovely Madelinetosh sock yarn. I’m getting hang of the lace patterning, and soon hope to not be so reliant on the chart. Of course, I may be moving on to the next chart by the time that happens as I can be a little slow to memorize!
And lastly, I have some vacation sock knitting plans on my mind. This BMFA Pond Scum will become Lenore socks if all goes well. I’m choosing it for travel based on the fact that my friend Nutmeg Knitter knit her pair in something wild like 4 days, and that once I get past the cuff it’s a simple repeat all the way down. Perfect for travelling, and the stop and go knitting that tends to take place while on the road.